Friday, June 6, 2014

Claire Violent #6¢

SCAR since 2012
                                               
Special Role(s): Marketing, Creative
Tell us about your roller derby name, how did you come up with it?
This is a pretty funny story. I struggled for EVER to come up with a derby name. I had friends trying to come up with things but never found something that quite fit. I had a great one - but it was already taken. So, I tried to come up with things that I was interested in - so I turned to Doctor Who, old 80's and 90's shows/music and just couldn't settle. I finally figured out my number first - 0.06 - or six cents = sixth sense. I've always been really into the paranormal and have been able to sense things for quite a while now. Still struggling with a name, one night I was watching The Golden Girls, as I do pretty much every night, and Rose said something stupid. Dorothy responded with "No Rose, she’s Clairvoyant." and I just looked up and said oh my gosh, That's It!!! and Claire Violent was born.
What drew you to roller derby?
I went to a skating party in October of 2010. My friend wanted us to all dress up in 80's clothes, and I take that VERY seriously. I looked ridiculous. Someone approached me and told me about derby and asked if I'd think about joining. My best friend at the time told me I should do it, but I've always been really shy, and totally non-confrontational. Over the next couple years my friend, Mellisa and I would occasionally remember that night and she would always said I should do it. In July of 2011 Mellisa passed away from cervical cancer. It was a devastating blow to lose such an amazing friend at such a young age. A few months later, I was looking though the pictures from the 80's party and remembered being asked about roller derby. I sat on it for a couple weeks but just kept thinking how she always pushed me. I looked at the website and as luck would have it, try-outs were only 3 weeks away. I couldn't deny the timing and I said screw it and I went to the clinic. Life is too short not to try new things, you may just find a new passion, like I did.
What’s the thing you love most about being a roller girl?/ref/NSO?
It's impossible to choose just one thing! I love the camaraderie, the encouragement, the friendships, the exercises, the challenges and the learning process! Everything about Derby makes life better!!!
What is your athletic background?
Practically non-existent. I was a cheerleader in high school and did gymnastics as a kid. I never really got into sports. In fact, I'm still not really interested in sports. Thankfully derby isn't just a sport - it's a way of life! I've never been more glad to have tried something new!
What would you tell a person who is thinking about coming to a SCAR Bout/trying out to ref or skate for SCAR/volunteering with SCAR? 
Just come!! It's so worth it! Come with an open mind and a humble attitude. People are going to be better than you, people are going to be worse. People will learn faster and some will learn slower. You will fall, you will feel like a complete idiot at times, you will screw up and you will be sore! But stick with it because along with all those things you will also feel empowered, brave, wanted, happy, accomplished, challenged, motivated, strong, and you will make 30+ new friends while always having a reason to love Mondays (after fresh meat, of course :-))

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home