Friday, June 6, 2014

Suenami #187

  SCAR since 2010

Derby Theme Song: Wipe Out
Special Role(s): Assistant Coach, Design Committee, and jack of all trades
Personal slogan: Don't get caught
Likes:  Bacon and beer, not necessarily in that order
Dislikes: Surprisingly, bacon beer
Favorite Mayhem Target: Em Munition
I love all of my SCAR sisters on Mayhem, but Em Munition is my favorite target.  If I can distract her even for a second, our jammer has a better chance at breaking through and scoring points.  Trying to keep up with her will only make me a better (and probably more bruised) player.
What was your most embarrassing SCAR moment?
Trying to give V-Diva (now a Team USA skater) a hug while skating and instead wiping both of us out
Do you have any other hobbies besides roller derby?
Who has time for other hobbies??
What is your position while playing/participating, and how do *you* approach it?  Jammer, pivot, blocker...each one requires a different skill set but the same drive to succeed.
What drew you to roller derby?
An article in the Collegian and a desire to push myself to try something different.
Tell us about the first time you participated in a bout.
The inaugural St. Valentine's Day Massacre in 2011.  No one knew what they were doing, but we somehow pulled it off.  We had people lined up all the way to the airport waiting to get in.
What’s one thing that you have learned from Derby that you are able to use in everyday life? 
Booty blocking other shoppers and juking my cart through the grocery store
What SCAR achievements are you most proud of?
Not giving birth on the track despite continuing to coach and jump around like a lunatic well into my ninth month.
What is your athletic background?
I used to retrain race horses for civilian life.  Now, I play roller derby and participate in races when I have time to properly train for them.
Who supports you in doing roller derby, and what would you say to them?
My husband, 4-year-old daughter, and 10-month-old son...and all my non-derby friends whom I feel like I never see anymore.  What do I say to them? More often than not, it's, "Sorry, but I have roller derby."  This sport is an extreme indulgence, extravagant expensive, and massive time suck from my family.  My family's support is critical and my gratitude to them for allowing me this time can't even be quantified.  I can't say thank you enough to my husband and kids for tolerating this hobby.
Any injury stories?
Yes, unfortunately. I had a combination ankle sprain and fractured foot  that required a 13-month recovery.  I think I made good use of the time off from competitive skating by getting pregnant.
What do you find most challenging about your position?  
Avoiding getting hit in the face
Who is your biggest derby crush? 
Punchy O' Guts, formerly of Maine Roller Derby. Not only is her name ridiculously awesome, she's an established writer, world class smart ass, superb skater, and an inspirational coach. She is also extremely generous with her vast knowledge of how to excel at roller derby. Meeting her was on my derby bucket list and she was every bit as awesome as I imagined, and then, to top it off, she volunteered to guest coach one of our practices!! I'll stop there before I embarrass myself further...
Do you have any derby wives?  
Derby domestic partner, Freakhopper Heddy, who has since departed for greener pastures in Denver.  Derby wife, Partygirl Accelerator, who has since departed for greener pastures in Connecticut...  Thankfully, I've partnered with fellow derby widows If You Seek Aimee (derby surrogate wife), Mae B. Nasty (derby mistress), and the Ovarian Fyst (derby sister wife), so I'm never lonely. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home