Friday, June 6, 2014

Culta Skaro #4

SCAR since 2012

Special Role(s): PR, Social Media, Sponsorship, Philanthropy, Fundraising, Recruitment, Constitution, Creative Design
Tell us about your roller derby name, how did you come up with it? 
It's a reference from the show Doctor Who, a program that is funny, complex, heartbreaking, and thought-provoking, but always makes you sound like a lunatic when you have to describe it as "A fifty-year-old television show about about an alien in a telephone-booth shaped spaceship-slash-time-machine." On the show, the Doctor's main enemies are a species of warrior aliens called Daleks. There's a specialized group of four daleks called the Cult of Skaro featured in several episodes. My sister was the one to suggest I go with "Culta" over "Cult of." That's also why my number is four.
Off the track, what kind of work do you do?  Do you have any other hobbies besides roller derby?
I adore derby, but my biggest passion in life is writing. I currently work as a journalist, but my favorite forms of writing are essays and existential fiction. I like to focus a lot on philosophy and social justice issues, especially intersectional feminism. I've also combined my love of writing with derby by becoming a reporter for the Derby News Network. Beyond that, I love to read, cook, watch an absurd amount of Netflix, run, camp, hike, play video games, and treat my pit bull like she is my own flesh-and-blood child.
What’s the thing you love most about being a roller girl?/ref/NSO?
First and foremost I love the sport. I love to play it, I love to watch it, and I love to learn more about it. I also enjoy the community, the endless support, the fun of dressing up, pushing my physical boundaries, and being able to be involved in the organization of the league.
What is your athletic background?
Over the years I've been heavily involved in ballet, tap, jazz, soccer, baseball, softball, basketball, tennis, skiing, and snowboarding. I also run and like to do endurance races.
Who supports you in doing roller derby, and what would you say to them?
I have a great support system in my life. The league supports me, my friends all support me, and my family supports me. Number one support is definitely my mother, though. An incredible athlete herself, she's always been the greatest support system in anything and everything I do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home