Friday, June 6, 2014

Blackout Betty #B33R


 I’m Black Betty’s Child, the damn thing that’s gone WILD . . .
Member Since 2010
Current League President
Intra-League Bout Coordinator 2012
Bout Coordinator 2011
Derby Theme Song:
 
  1. Tell us about your roller derby name, how did you come up with it?
You’ll have to catch me at an afterparty to learn how I came up with my name! My number [B33R] came from my love of all things Beer!
  1. Off the track, what kind of work do you do?  
I work for Penn State as a Purchasing Assistant, but my degree is in Architecture and I’m hoping to one day get back to designing Stadiums and other Sports Facilities for a living.
  1. Do you have any other hobbies besides roller derby?
I love to travel. I play rugby whenever I can. I also go tubing on the creeks of Central PA anytime I can, and I’ll brave extreme temperatures to go while the water is high!
  1. What is your position while playing/participating, and how do *you* approach it?
I play pivot and blocker. As pivot, I love to employ strategies that make the opposing jammer frustrated, so it’s that much easier to keep them behind my team! I also use my LOUD voice a LOT. You might not always know what I’m saying, but you’ll definitely know who’s sayin’ it! I approach blocking simply: My ass is in front of your ass, and mine’s usually bigger, so good luck with that.
  1. What drew you to roller derby?
I was looking for something to do for Rugby’s offseason. Derby seemed perfect . . . getting to hit people while going even faster than in Rugby since you’re on skates?! Sounds Awesome! And it is. I was only planning on doing it over the winter months when you can’t play rugby outside, but its been almost 2.5 years and I’m still here and I don’t see myself leaving anytime soon!
  1. Tell us about the first time you participated in a bout.
I can’t even remember what bout was the first bout I played in. I organized and planned every bout we held in 2011 and 2012 and now pass the torch onto The Ovarian Fyst. I bench coached for the Dolls until I started playing with them in May 2012. I was a Pennsyltucky Punisher last year, but I’ve thrown out my plaid and denim and have my new uni ready for this season!
  1. What do you think about SCAR’s upcoming schedule?  What are your personal goals for the upcoming season?
I did our schedule for 2013 since I was the Inter-League Bout Coordinator last year. I worked really hard to get us set to play a variety of teams this year across the Mid-Atlantic region. I think this year is going to awesome! I’m particularly excited at the prospect of playing in Pittsburgh, playing against our closest adversaries out of Williamsport, and going back to ROC City to play again!
  1. What SCAR achievements are you most proud of?
Completing my 25 laps in 5 minutes. It was a huge obstacle for me!
  1. What is your athletic background?
I’ve played sports forever! I’ve been on sports teams since I was 6. I played in community leagues for soccer, baseball/softball, and basketball in grade school. I played Soccer, Basketball, and Softball for Penns Valley throughout junior/senior high school. I played Rugby for RPI in college. Now I split time between playing Rugby for the Thorns of Lancaster and Derby for SCAR! I’ll also play any pick-up game of anything; anytime and anywhere! I have a competitiveness issue . . .
  1. What would you tell a person who is thinking about coming to a SCAR Bout/trying out to ref or skate for SCAR/volunteering with SCAR?
Do it! I highly recommend coming out and putting on skates and giving derby a go! It had been 15ish years since I had put on skates and I spent my first 2 practices with SCAR holding onto the wall. I’m definitely not SCARs most skilled skater, but I’ve come a long way and have met many, many, many fantastic people along the way! In one word derby is: Awesomesauce.
  1. What equipment do you use? Skates? Wheels? Protective Gear? Must-Haves?
I have a 13-year-old pair of Adidas softball cleats mounted to a basic plate for my skates; they’re needing a replacement soon. I gotta have my wide Poison Wheels and something to protect the floor from my boots! Bout days I must have my glitter! I also have an awesome new Beer-Themed set of toe guards, courtesy of Hannah, that you’ll see debuting for the St. Valentine’s Massacre!
  1. What’s your personal slogan?
Skate Smarter, Not Harder.
  1. What do you like? What do you dislike?
LIKES: RUGBY, Beer, Time Traveling, My Trunk Bar, Stadiums, Roller Coasters, Beer Games, Chickens, Tubing, Afterparty Wins, Glitter, Loud Music you can sing to.
DISLIKES: Assessments, Sober Sallys, Negative Nancys, Rules that aren’t meant to be broken, Alarm Clocks, Death Bugs.
  1. What’s your favorite quote(s)?
"My favorite gift I’ve ever received is a flask. I think giving someone a flask is a nice way of saying ‘Hey, you seem like a drunk on the go. You strike me as needing hard liquor at all times.'"
– Jim Gaffigan
“I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.”
– Jack Handey (really any quotes by Jack Handey)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home